Total Pageviews

Friday, January 7, 2011

Gourmet Cooking Aboard S/V Blondie-Dog...



Okay... I know what you're thinking and you couldn't be further from the truth. Just because I happen to be surrounded by water on all sides doesn't mean that I'm always chowing down on grouper, or lobster, or snapper or stone crab or even conch for that matter.

The truth is the last time I ate seafood, it was out of a can. Yeah... you heard me right... a can... as in a can of pink salmon not unlike the one that's been sitting in your pantry for the past eight months or so. It was either that or quite possibly a can of tuna for all I can remember if you really want to know.

In any event lunch today consisted of a small package of Vigo Saffron seasoned Yellow Rice along with a can of Goya Kidney Beans in Sauce.

I would have liked to have served up some "platanos amarillos" on the side, or "maduros" as the Cuban locals prefer to call it but my two plantain bananas onboard are still green. I did happen to mix up a glass of powdered skim milk to later wash down the rice and beans though.

Hey... it was either rice and beans or another peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It certainly could have been worse too. Rolling inside my tote box that serves as my pantry aboard the boat are tins of deviled ham spread and I can assure you that is some nasty stuff.

I'm quite certain that there might be some concern among you all whether I'm eating balanced meals if at all so I'll simply add that any Care Packages sent my way will be most graciously appreciated. Just please don't include any cans of tuna or spam or deviled ham spread. Otherwise you'll run the risk of being ex-communicated from my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment