Total Pageviews

Monday, August 9, 2010

Blondie-Dog got a much needed scrub down...



No, I'm not talking about Blondie the dog now residing at a beach house in Galveston, Texas. I'm referring to S/V Blondie-Dog as in Sailing Vessel Blondie-Dog. I took advantage of overcast skies, occasional heavy rain showers, and a later steady drizzle to wash down the deck.

My new portable drill was still charging for the first time so installing my compass in the cockpit was not a viable option. So instead I grabbed a bucket, a bottle of Soft-Scrub, two cleaning brushes and got to work.

The deck up along the bow got scrubbed down first. I believe it's called the foredeck now that I think about it. Two brushes were put to use... the smaller of the two, not unlike a toothbrush fit for a gorilla, was used to scrub to crud embedded between all the tight fittings.

The crud that came loose only served as even more incentive to zealously scrub down the rest of the deck all the way back to the stern. Getting up close and personal was a good opportunity to see all the possible crevices up on deck that could perhaps use some silicon sealant.

All that scrubbing was later followed by a good pressure wash down with the garden hose from up on the dock. By then, evening had started to set in and with the wind picking up and my clothing all damp, I was definitely feeling uncomfortably chilled and ready to call it quits for the day. I later grab my shower bag and head on up to the marina shower facilities for a nice long hot shower.

Dinner last evening, not that anyone gives a "conio-carajo", was a concoction of penne pasta, two small red potatoes, a small yellow squash, a cut-up Roma tomato and a tin of tuna all cooked in the pressure cooker.

After draining the pasta along with the potatoes and squash, I added a tin of tuna in oil and seasoned it all with a good drizzling of olive oil and sun-dried tomato vinaigrette and of course the usual coarse black pepper and salt along with a generous sprinkling of red-pepper flakes.

The red-pepper flakes were courtesy of a local pizzeria. (Hey! that's what those small zip-lock baggies are for!). Tuna in water was not an option. Emeril Lagasse certainly would not approve. I know because I certainly remember him saying as much on one of his shows.

My meal was surprisingly Good Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment